This is hands down the most delicious thing everrr. Perfect for anyone who’s got a sweet tooth AND it’s super easy to make! It takes about an hour to make this heavenly treat (preparation and baking included).
Here’s the recipe:
225g unsalted butter, 225g caster sugar, 4 eggs, finely grated zest of one lemon, 225g self-raising flour
For the drizzle:
juice of 1½ lemons, 85g caster sugar
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Beat together 225g unsalted butter and 225g caster sugar until the mixture is pale and creamy.
- Add 4 eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through.
- Sift in 225g self-raising flour and add the finely grated zest of one lemon. Mix well until all the ingredients are combined.
- Line a loaf tin (better to use two of these) with greaseproof paper, spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon.
- Bake for 45 minutes until a thin skewer (or knife) inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling, mix together the juice of 1½ lemons with 85g caster sugar for the drizzle.
- Prick the cake all over with a fork and then pour the drizzle over it. You can also sift some icing sugar over it like I did.
- Leave the cake in the tin until it’s completely cool, remove and serve.
- Keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days or freeze for 1 month.
[Recipe taken from BBC Good Food]
My family (3 people) demolished two of these cakes in a day. IT’S SO GOOD. Try it. 😉